Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ever have someone stand you up?


Do not get angry by missed appointments and no answers, just plan ahead. If you are setting only one appointment for a time slot you are setting yourself up for failure. You should be scheduling half hour to one hour slots for contacts and planning that some people will not be available when you call.

If you plan ahead you will have a couple of people in a time slot instead of just one. The best way to do this is set aside blocks of times just for follow-ups. For example Tuesdays and Thursday from 6 to 7 PM. During these time periods plan at least 4 contacts. Not 1 or 2. I figure 2 contacts for each half hour. Then tell your prospect that you will contact them between 6 PM and 7 PM. One way to do this is as follows:

"Ok ______________ I have time on Tuesday or Thursday between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM. Which day works best for you? " When they answer say. "Ok great I have a couple of other people to contact that day as well, but I will contact you between 6 and 7 PM."

This will do two things: First it will set up the fact that other people are looking at the business so you may not be on the call exactly at the start of the time slot and second it will create excitement over the fact that other people are interested too.

Your time is your most valuable asset do not waste it waiting on people that do not value you or your business. If the person misses your appointment always follow-up with a call and let them know you do not have time to waste. I like to say something like:

Hello __________ this is _______________. We had an appointment for ___________. I know things can come up at the last minute but with a business opportunity that is exploding like this I have a lot of other people that are interested. Give me a call when you get free, I have some openings two weeks from today or if you like you can give me a couple of times you are free and if someone else cancels I will call you from my waiting list.

Remember you are holding all the cards and you have the business opportunity not the other way around.

No comments: