Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Law of Opposites

We are taught about the law of opposites in school with two magnets. It is impossible to put the same poles of two magnets together. You can use the law of opposites and to spin a motor. You can also use the law of opposites to spin a conversation to keep your prospect engaged.

Next time you are in a conversation see if you can pick out how many times opposites are use by someone else in your conversation. People generally do not like to be with other people that blindly agree with them for very long. When someone turns negative, try giving them a negative right back and see if it changes their position.

Understanding this law and how people react to positive and negative statements can really help you in conversations turn things around quickly. First, do not attempt these with negative or abusive people, these people will sap your energy and probably will never be successful in any business.

Here is a real life example:

  • You: “I just joined this exciting new company and I thought of you first. I would like to show you what I am doing and see if it works for you.”
  • Them: “No these companies are just a rip off, they don’t work.”
  • You: “I just invited you to look at an opportunity with a billion dollar company, on its way to 3 billion dollars in what is currently estimated to be a 20 billion dollar industry. I understand this is probably not the right time for you to be looking at a business.”

I sent out positive and they responded negative. This is expected and actually welcome. I then follow their negative statement with the complete opposite positive message to invoke a response, which would be negative if I stopped here. So then I threw in my own negative response so they would feel compelled to be positive. You will get a positive response about 80% of the time, but it may not be the positive response that gets you the sale or a new distributor. If the person responds negatively again then they are generally negative and if they did join would bring down your group.

The key is to keep your prospects mind open and keep them engaged in your conversation. If you throw in the towel when they say “No” the first time your success rate will fall measurably in the negative column.

I said earlier that the negative statement was welcomed. This is because it is a sign that I can engage this person and apply the law of opposites to keep this person listening to my message. Generally people who are interested stay and question what you are saying which is how we create conversation. People who are not interested in a conversation simply walk away.

By the way this technique works online as well as in person.

No comments: