Thursday, April 27, 2006

Planning for change

Change is inevitable and it can catch you by surprise or you can plan for it. When change affects your income, especially in today’s financial environment, it is best to plan for it and hedge off disaster.

Even the largest and what appear to be the most financially stable companies are eventually subject to change. Look at IBM, GM, and MCI all fortune 100 companies that lost major market share and all had to shed thousands of employees and close facilities to stay in business. I fell pray to this many years ago when Aetna Insurance merged with US Healthcare. My department was considered no longer part of the corporate strategy and that change in philosophy resulted in thousands of jobs being eliminated including mine. In the years following the Aetna US Healthcare merger allowed both companies to shed thousands of employees and actually almost put the new company out of business. All changes that effected my live and they were completely outside of my control and totally unexpected. Even back then I had a backup plan and I had a separate business outside of my primary source of income so I had a secondary income source.

Planning for change should start today. If you do not have a savings and multiple streams of income then you are at risk regardless of the size or financial status of your company or employer. Wisely investing little as $10 a day, about what we spend on lunch, will compound into close to 1 million dollars over 20 years. This is money that can be used to back up your income and will make for a more comfortable retirement.

If you do not have a part time business this is a good time to re-evaluate why not. This is also a place to obtain the extra income you need to save for your future. Remember as little as $10 a day will provide for your retirement. Do you think you could generate $300 per month part time? Of course you can. This way you can continue to live on your primary income and invest all or part of your secondary income. People ask why someone with my background and experience I got involved in Network Marketing, here is the answer:

  • It cost very little to get started so there was a limited down side. It also allowed me to work part time right out of my home without impacting my primary income.
  • It is a great way to get experience in starting and running your own business and “Become your own boss” and I was in the position to help others because of my experience.
  • I did not have to stock anything or even come up with new products to replace aging ones I could simply focus on building the business.
  • I did not have to be a sales person. I could sell without pressure and at the same time build a business helping others do the same.


Think about the many reasons you should get started in your own business and hedge your future, then take action.

No comments: