Sunday, April 13, 2008

A week for the record books

As a veteran of the network marketing business I have heard many horror stories from other distributors, who had been in their own businesses prior to joining our industry and why they closed their businesses to go full time in this business.

I have one to add to the story books. I received a call from an employee of one of my clients, the business manager who I worked with professionally several years, a little over a week ago telling me that she was falsely being accused of taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from my client and she said she was calling me because they were questioning the value of my service as part of her termination interview. My service is a key part of their billing. I was confused and rather upset that they would be questioning me and my company after 2 years and a measurable reduction in their outstanding receivables. A few days later I was contacted by a partner in the company, told that the business manager was terminated and asked to bring in my invoices for the last 24 months. I was told that there was a discrepancy in the billing and they would appreciate if I would provide them with what I billed their account. When I arrived and we reviewed my invoices, I was told that on their books they had paid me 6 times the total invoices just last year. I was in shock and did not know what to say. I was told that my account was one of many in question. This was a first for me a client cutting checks with my name on them, somehow getting them cashed and keeping the money. The client is transferring their billing to an outside agency to avoid this type of future loss so I will be losing the account within the next month. For me clearly it is time to make a change. The fact that this is possible and a large portion of my income is dependent on contract services like this created a gut check moment for me that now is the time to really focus on one business that creates residual income.

The best part of the week!

The week wasn’t a total loss; we went bowling yesterday with the grandchildren. This was the first time they both had been bowling (Mark 5 and Kady 2). They had a blast. The bowling center, which just upgraded their lanes, automatically adjusts the lane for the children so when it is their turn to bowl gutter bumpers automatically come up so the adults and kids can all bowl together. It was a great time.

It is also getting closer to boating time. I visited the marina yesterday to check on the boat. Just a few weeks it will be in the water and I have to get the cover off and prep the boat for the water, can't wait for weekends away... I still have to paint the bottom and flush out the systems. The kids are already talking about taking the jet ski out and looking forward to the water. The river was at flood stages yesterday and the marina was watching the levels, expecting possible flooding today. It may be a good day for a drive to get some pictures. I am truly blessed to have the ability to get away like this with a boat and Jet Ski. I hope that I can help others also obtain these items or whatever their dreams are by helping them obtain them through the business.

No comments: